Florida Department of Health - Highlands County
7205 South George Boulevard Sebring, FL 33875
Rabies is a an incurable, deadly viral disease that can be prevented by taking precautions to protect yourself, your family, and your pets. Animals can be vaccinated and people who have been bitten can receive vaccines to fight the disease.
What can you do?
- Vaccinate your pets
- Maintain control of your pets to reduce their exposure to wildlife
- Spay or neuter pets to decrease the number of stray animals
- Avoid purposely interacting with wild animals, such as feral cats, raccoons, or bats
- Report any stray or ill animals to Highlands County Animal Control at (863) 499-2600
- If you are bitten by an animal, wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water, and see your doctor or go to the emergency room
- All physicians and doctor's offices are required to report all animal bites to animal control at (863) 499-2600