It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Florida Department of Health - Highlands County
7205 South George Boulevard Sebring, FL 33875
Environmental Health (EH) works to prevent diseases of environmental origin, focusing on prevention, preparedness, and education. EH measures are implemented through routine monitoring, education, surveillance and sampling of facilities and conditions that may contribute to the occurrence or transmission of disease. Authority for this program stems from the Legislature through Chapter 381, Florida Statutes. A brief overview of program areas is provided below, with more details available by clicking on the topic in the left menu.
For more information on environmental health programs, please visit theFlorida Department of Health's website or call (863) 402-6550.
- Issues operating permits and conducts annual or biannual inspections for all biomedical waste generators, storage facilities, and transporters
Body Piercing, Tattoo, and Tanning Salons
- Issues annual operating licenses and conducts biannual santiation and safety inspections for these faclities
- Ensures minors are not allowed to use tanning or body piercing services without parental consent
Public Drinking Water Systems
- Provides plan reviews and permitting services for new public drinking water systems
- Performs annual permitting and inspection services
- Ensures drinking water systems comply with quarterly bacteriological testing requirements
- Investigates complaints of sanitary nuisances, animal bites, and all food and waterborne disease outbreaks
- Provides plan reviews
- Conducts quarterly inspections for regulated facilities
- Issues annual sanitation certificates to bars/lounges, civic/fraternal organizations, schools, residential facilities, detention facilities, and theaters
- Conducts annual sanitation and safety inspections on all schools (public and private)
- Conducts annual sanitation and safety inspections on community-based residential facilities
Mobile Home/Recreational Vehicle Parks
- Provides plan reviews
- Conducts biannual sanitation and safety inspections
- Issues annual operating permits to all mobile home and RV parks in the county
On-Site Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems (OSTDS)
This program now operates under the Department of Environmental Protection.
- Ensures proper installation, permitting, and operation of OSTDS (septic tanks)
- Issues annual operating permits to businesses on septic systems
- Conducts annual sanitation and safety inspections
SUPER Act/Well Surveillance
- Tests drinking water wells within a 1/4 mile of petroleum storage tanks and dry cleaning faclities for possible contamination
Public Swimming Pools and Spas
- Ensures public pools and spas are constructed to conform to health codes
- Issues annual operating permits
- Conducts biannual inspections
Connect with DOH